Jeans is the best known product group of the brand Levi's. They are available for men and women and offered in different styles, colors and washings. Best known is Levi's 501 which has been offered from in the 1890s until now.
Jeans are a special type of trousers that are made from denim. Due to their special importance, Levi's has an own product group for jeans, while other types of trousers are included in the product group "Pants" (American English) or "Trousers" (British English).
Jeans do not only differ from other trousers in the material used, but also in the style.
Jeans by Levi's have some specific features by which they can be distinguished from jeans of other brands. Among them are:
- the rear patch with the two-horse logo
- the back pocket with the double arcuate embroidery
- the tab on the left side of the right back pocket
- for some styles the 5th pocket (watch or coin pocket) with two rivets
- waist button (and possibly fly buttons) with "Levi Strauss & Co" embossing
- pocket rivets with "L. S. & Co" embossing
Jeans generally extend from the waist to the ankles and have long pant legs covering the entire legs. However, jeans are also available as "shorts" with pant legs ending above or shortly below the knee.
By abrasion during use, the white core of the weft threads of the denim appears under the dyed surface so that the color of the fabric fades. This gives used denim jeans a unique look. Especially, the surface abrasion achieves the following effects:
Such a used used look, including the special effects, may also be achieved by different washings durcing the production, from a simple stone-wash process up to an extensive treatment.
The different styles are mainly characterized by differnt fits and rises
The main fits for Levi's jeans are:
|← tighter — looser →|
Big & Tall
|← tighter — looser →|
There are also combinations of these types, for example jeans that are slim or relaxed at seat and thigh, but have tapered or boot cut legs.
Available rises for Levi's jeans are
- High: The jeans sits above the waist
- Mid: The jeans sits at the waist
- Low: The jeans sits below the waist
The following jeans styles are currently available:
|501 Original||straight||mid||button||original style of Levi's jeans, bears the number 501 since 1890, regular fit with straight leg|
|501 Shrink-to-Fit||straight||mid||button||as 501, but made from an unshrunk denim|
|501 CT||straight||mid||button||as 501, but has a tapered leg with a 13 ¾" leg opening|
|501 Skinny||skinny||The original jean, now with a skinny leg.|
|502 Regular Taper|
|504 Regular Straight||straight||zip|
|508 Regular Taper|
|512 Skinny Taper|
|513 Slim Straight||slim|
|514 Slim Straight||straight|
|517 Boot Cut||bootcut|
|519 Extreme Skinny||skinny||low||button|
|520 Extreme Taper|
|522 Slim Taper||slim|
|527 Slim Boot Cut||bootcut|
|559 Relaxed Straight||relaxed|
|560 Comfort Fit||relaxed|
|569 Loose Straight||relaxed|
|751 Classic Straight|
The following Levi's jeans styles are no longer produced
|for men||for women|
For most of the styles of Levi's jeans, the mainly used color is blue in different washings. Generally, Levi's jeans are also available in black and grey. Depending on the current collections, other colers are offered, too, for example white, khaki, brown or green.
Next to the color, the visual appearance of a jeans is mainly determined by the washing. Washing not only influences the overall shade of the jeans, but also may cause special efects to make the jeans look mor or leass worn, for examples bleached parts at the thigh, whiskers at frontal top side of the jeans or honeycombs at the back of the knees.
Washings are generally divided into three groups:
Special washings include:
- rigid: raw unwashed denim
- rinse, in Europe also called "one wash": a single rinsing process to remove excess color
- stonewash: washing with stones physically removes surface color
- Jeans for men and women as well as Jeans Fit Guide at us.levi.com
- Understanding Levi's® Style Numbers at www.langstons.com
- The Levi’s Jeans Guide at www.bragvintage.co.uk
- A Guide to Levi’s Jeans at www.fitfashion.co.uk, August 19, 2014
- Pamela Ann: How to recognize the difference between real and fake Levis jeans? at www.proforbes.com
- How to spot fake Levi's at www.levisguide.com